Quitting with the close box on Mac

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 6 17:46:57 EDT 2014

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Why did we need ribbons again?

I first learned of the Ribbon through a post Dan Shafer made here on
this list back in 2005:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2005-October/067709.html>

I might have been more skeptical, but citing Jakob Nielsen made it
interesting for me, so I read Dan's post, then Jakob's article, then
subscribed to the RSS feed for the MS Office design blog.  Learned a lot
from all that.

One of the things I've come to respect most about MS' design team is
their very disciplined data-driven approach.  Sure, we rarely see their
best work because between the usability lab and the product box
marketers step in and muck it up.  But the core design team does some
good work, at times very good IMO.

Long after it shipped one of the Ribbon team leaders, Jensen Harris,
gave this talk at a UX conference - long, but IMO well worth the time:

UX Week 2008: Jensen Harris, "The Story of the Ribbon"
<http://vimeo.com/3305642>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World