SHELL text encoding OS X?

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 10:32:42 EDT 2014

Hi Klaus

As I understand, the OS X shell assumes text is UTF-8 encoded whereas Livecode on OS X assumes text is MacRoman encoded. (I'm guessing you're running this on a Mac).

So you need to convert the UTF-8 to MacRoman. With LiveCode 6.6, I believe that involves converting first to "unicode" (actually UTF-16) and then to MacRoman. I took a quick look at Devin Asay's Unicode tutorial - http://livecode.byu.edu/unicode/unicodeInRev.php

It seems you need to do something like this, assuming you have a "spare" field hanging around:
	set the unicodetext of field "temp" to uniencode(tResultFromMDFind,"UTF8")
	get the unicodetext of field "temp"
	put unidecode(it,"English") into tWhatIWanted

I realise that the English seems a bit odd for German but I think it's a LiveCode synonym for what Unicode calls "Roman" languages.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter