Maiden speech from an old man

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Jul 25 22:03:21 EDT 2014

Hermann-

Friday, July 25, 2014, 3:31:09 PM, you wrote:

>> [Scott wrote:] It goes both ways. Jacque (and Richard) have
>> explained how this is "sort of" possible.
> The collected mailing lists are one way but -- for me -- very
> nasty. I can read very fast, but it's also very hard to filter out
> unneeded quotes (and up to 10 lines of signatures).

<g> and I have a similar problem with all the stuff I'd like to ignore
on the web forum. I wouldn't be wild about having an rss feed into
this listserv for the same reason, although it's easier to set up kill
filters here.

>> [Richard H. wrote:] Listserves and usenet on the one hand, and
>> web fora on the other, are completely different creatures.

> No, some of the users are. It's sometimes just another kind of
> thinking, of being ready or not for changes.

Actually, they *are* completely different. And so require different
reflexes on the part of users in terms immediacy, archiving,
responsiveness, access and retrieval of previous information, etc.
I rarely venture onto the web forum, and when I do it's a pretty
shallow overview of recent activity in selected topics. Unfortunately
the engine contribution work takes place over there, so I have to
check in once in a while.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.