Maiden speech from an old man

hh hh at livecode.org
Fri Jul 25 18:31:09 EDT 2014

> [Alex wrote:] So - is there a "beginner's guide"?
See below, the short paragraph to RSS Reader. This is faster than your Browser and faster than your Mailer and answers all your (ironic) questions leading to this question. After what I've seen from you, I know you'll need at most 5 minutes of exercising -:)

> [Scott wrote:] It goes both ways. Jacque (and Richard) have explained how this is "sort of" possible.
The collected mailing lists are one way but -- for me -- very nasty. I can read very fast, but it's also very hard to filter out unneeded quotes (and up to 10 lines of signatures).

There is another way, I mentioned already above: RSS. Each and every single subforum has an RSS icon, simply drag it to your RSS reader. Just give it a try. After one hour you are faster than with your overloaded mailboxes. And you can use Growl-notifying, if you wish ...

[ For example for Mac (Win, Linux similar) there is a free, very fast, easy to handle RSS-reader: Shrook. It has a preview mode that is as fast as a text-only-browser. I read the headlines of 20 posts in 5 seconds, you can also sort by author. The interesting posts you can read also very fast as a preview and then look (still with the reader) at the webpage and post a reply in two clicks (in browser now). ]

> [Scott wrote:] the reality is, there's less incentive to respond to a forum post when it's many hours (or a day) old.
Certainly we usually won't respond to solved problems. But the unsolved, often several days or even months old, are much more attractive, isn't it? Perhaps we should even have a subforum "Unsolved problems" where admins only can push in (and pull out again) selected topics? And you please look in there regularly.

> [Richard H. wrote:] Listserves and usenet on the one hand, and web fora on the other, are completely different creatures.

No, some of the users are. It's sometimes just another kind of thinking, of being ready or not for changes.

"After changes upon changes we are more or less the same ..." (Simon and Garfunkel, The Boxer, NY Central Park 1982, youtube.com/watch?v=qy1hXDOenOY)