Commercial Indy License for HTML5

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Jul 17 16:28:00 EDT 2014

Hi Brahmanathaswami ,

I don't have the slightest idea. LiveCode's HTML5 website doesn't seem
to provide any information about it. I'm a little worried that they will
use a CGI engine in the same way as Xojo does. The engine and the stack
would be compiled into a CGI engine, which then produces Javascript that
can render the website in the browser. That would be a show stopper for
me, because shared servers often don't allow installation of additional
CGI engines.

If they don't use a CGI engine, I don't see how the HTML5 website could
be closed source. As Ralph writes, it is true that the Javascript will
probably be obfuscated or just too big to be interpreted by the human
reader, but that doesn't stop anyone from reading the source code and
converting it to something readable --LiveCode is a big project too, but
apparently it can still be read :-)

Then again, the text of the license might just contain some phrase,
which obliges any big company to publish the stacks in downloadable
form, unless the company has a commercial license.

Anyway, I couldn't find any info about this and that bugs me. I have no
idea if I should give a little money.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille