Update of old apps

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed Jul 16 12:14:18 EDT 2014

On Jul 16, 2014, at 5:41 AM, jbv at souslelogo.com wrote:

> ok I get it, thanks for the advice...
> But still my main worry is rather about aging code that could be
> replaced by new LC features that would save time & energy in
> future updates/maintenance...
> I am not going to clutter the list about it, but I'm really wondering
> about that.
>
> Best,
> jbv

I think this is very on topic.  The answer may differ depending from contracting projects to products/services one sells broadly to more than one end user.

If this is a contract situation, I would contact the companies you work with and actively offer upgrades to their software.  I would know everything possible about their industry and provide strong points that would interest them in hiring you to update their software package.  You might even look into a yearly support option for clients that use your software in mission critical environments.  Casual users of your software will not desire this though.

If a client calls and requests something new, I would call that a billable item.  If they find a bug in your software you have the option to generate good will and fix it for free or offer them a reasonable rate to fix the issue if you think it warrants charging.

I don’t there there are hard rules here. You have to gauge each situation individually.  Considering the long term value of your decision is helpful in determining whether to charge or not.  I hope this helps a bit with your decision.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
CanelaSoftware.com
LiveCloud.io