From my Spam box: "A Newer, Thicker, Stronger . . ."

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:12:16 EDT 2014

On 08/07/14 20:02, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 7/8/2014, 11:54 AM, stephen barncard wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I understand, a very large amount of the bloat (or 'bloat' if
>>> you prefer) is
>>> due to the open source stuff to expand Livecode's Unicode abilities:
>>> they
>>> will, most definitely
>>> not be trimmed as they are very much part of the new feature set of
>>> Livecode 7.
>>>

>> Well then, big bloat is the new bloat. The world looks bigger when
>> it's 64
>> bit I guess.
>
> RR has said they are looking into ways to trim some of the unicode
> library during a build, which they admit is huge. I suspect the app
> size will still be larger, but maybe not as large as it is right now.

One of the words that has been buzzing around is 'modularise' (or,
possibly 'modularize' . . .);
and just as at present, with the standalone builder, one can opt to
include certain things and
exclude others, it would be good if that capability was expanded so that
developers could include in their standalone engine what they required,
and leave out what they didn't.

For the sake of argument; it would be a bit odd to have to include all
the Unicode stuff if one were
building a statistical calculator.

Richmond.