Ordinal numbers

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:04:33 EDT 2014

On 04/07/14 00:43, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> Ten is defined as a constant and tenth as a keyword according to the
> dictionary. Eleven and eleventh aren't defined. Although a warning
> might be appropriate, it is easy to find out why it doesn't work, if
> one reads the dictionary: eleven and eleventh don't exist.
> Unfortunately, something lacking from the dictionary doesn't always
> mean that it doesn't exist :-(
>
> I agree it is silly that LiveCode only contains the constants one to
> ten. I'm not sure that it is possible to have an infinite number of
> constants defined as ordinal numbers, but it should be possible to do
> this for very large numbers. Perhaps a feature request?

My feature request would be to REMOVE the ordinals! Then one could ONLY do:

delete char 3  and so on

and things would be consistent.

Certainly my "grumble" (and it is only a grumble, it is NOT a roaring
complaint) is about
inconsistencies, which makes teaching Livecode a bit more difficult than
perhaps may be
necessary.

Richmond.