Can You Really Install an iOS App outside of Apple's App Store?

Brahmanathswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Jul 2 18:14:04 EDT 2014

Dumb, old question: Can You Really Install an iOS App outside of Apple's
App Store?

I'm reviewing again the differences between the  Open Source "community"
version and the Commercial license, which I thought I understood well...
(See the faq http://livecode.com/support/ask-a-question/)

But this is puzzling: Under

Open source:

             1) Acme Corp wants to distribute their app and source code
directly from their website, for use on any platform

Commercial option:

             2) Acme Corp wants to submit their free or paid iOS or Mac
OS app, to the official Apple iTunes or Mac App Store

Regarding # 1 above:

Can iOS users really download an app from any web site and install it on
their iPhone or iPad without going through the App Store?

I did not think this was possible unless you had the GUID for each
device you want to deploy to and that was limited to 100 devices. But
this verbiage -- "distribute their app and source code directly from
their website, for use on any platform" -- implies I could put an iOS
app on our site and someone could just download --> drag into iTunes -->
sync  and voila!... the app is running on their iPhone/iPad. or navigate
in their iPhone to a download link and click to install the app....

Is that even possible? What am I missing here?

Swasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Kauai's Hindu Monastery
www.HimalayanAcademy.com