We're Funding LiveCode For the Web

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:59:36 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Mark Wilcox <mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk> wrote:

> It's running in the browser, with the LiveCode engine compiled to
> JavaScript. Compiling SQLite to JavaScript and running it locally in the
> browser is not a great option - how will you reliably persist the data
> and keep decent performance? Not that there aren't JavaScript based DB
> solutions that use local file storage.

Actually, all I need is the in-memory db, and for a fairly small database
at that.  Performancewise, however, I need that data locally.  Changing one
item can result in the need to reference dozens of others to recalculate,
its dependent values.

> Sadly the web standards folks messed up here. Web SQL was effectively
> killed because Mozilla and Microsoft refused to implement it. IndexedDB
> looks like the option that everyone eventually agreed on but it's not
> implemented everywhere yet. I suspect it will be fairly widespread by
> the time the HTML5 deployment option is complete though...

I don't need any *particular* database, but I do need to be able to use
revDataFromQuery().  I initially implented value storage with my getVal()
and setVal() to use an array, but there are too many different ways I
access particular data types; to use anything other than a (light) database
means custom loops through everything for each type of "WHERE" that I use.
If there were an array type that could access the same data from different
independent indices, that *could* work, but I think we'd call that array a
"database" :)

As things get set and calculated and changed, a db row gives me a nice way
to access by any of these.  Without it, I'd have to manually set everything
in additional arrays just to keep track of things, which is an army of bugs
waiting to be sprayed . . .

Also, my db need is *very* simple.  I use a few UNION just to turn things
into a single access, and some compound WHERE, but no JOIN, related tables,
and whatnot.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462