WebRTC support and Chromium Embedded Framework in LiveCode

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 16:03:08 EDT 2014

I'm getting the impression that the LiveCode roadmap is primarily user
demand driven, so there isn't really a long term strategy apart from
"keep the platform relevant and grow the user base". :)

If you really want something relatively simple like this in the roadmap
I think pledging for the new campaign with a Premium (or maybe Pro)
license and asking them to do it sooner rather than later is the best
way forward! Alternatively it's simple enough that you could contract
someone to do it after all the refactoring is sorted for significantly
less than the cost of a Premium license.

I think the main issue with doing this for mobile platforms is backwards
compatibility. On Android the WebView completely changed (to a modern
Chromium base from an old WebKit base) in one of the recent releases
(can't remember which 4.x version) - making sure it works identically on
both might be tricky - Android has always had a simple method for doing
this though. On iOS this was only doable via fake URL load requests in
the WebView before iOS 7, then iOS 7 added an almost completely
undocumented and slightly cumbersome way of doing it properly. Now iOS 8
has added a new WKWebView with a much nicer way of doing it (and much
better JavaScript performance!).

So, it's going to be cheaper and easier to do via an external/extension
if you only care about newer platform versions but to get it into the
engine where it belongs means supporting all the platform versions that
LiveCode does.

--
  Mark Wilcox
  mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk