First LC Submission to iTunes

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Tue Jul 1 10:39:15 EDT 2014

Vaughn,

Not sure if you’ve received a response yet or not, but here are my answers as based on my experience.

Yes, you must use iTunes Connect in order to begin the app submission process. It’s iTunes Connect that ultimately “connects” everything together. That’s where you’ll create your app, upload the large app icon (1024x1024), upload screen shots, and specify other information (pricing, description, etc.). It’s mostly self explanatory I think. Once you’ve gone through the steps and are ready to submit your actual app bundle, you use Application Loader, which is part of Xcode.

You shouldn’t need to add any extra code to your open stack script to handle multiple screen resolutions, so long as you’re using a version of LiveCode that supports auto resizing/scaling. I imagine you already are, but just double check that. If you don’t have a retina screen device to test on (I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on one, if not), at the very least you should test using the simulator. You can simulate a retina screen device by selecting the appropriate options in the Hardware menu while the simulator is running. Are you using any images in your app? If so, and you want them to look nice and crisp on the retina screen, you’ll need @2x versions of each of your images. Of course, maybe you’re going the simple route and don’t need to do any of this.

I’m sure there’s a guide somewhere for the different sizes for the splash screen, screen shots, and icon sizes, but honestly, I find them to be confusing. :-) The following should help a bit.

For iTunes Connect, screen shots either have to be 1024 x 768, or 2048 x 1536. You don’t have to submit both sizes. Lately I’ve just been submitting the larger size. I believe the app store scales them as needed. I believe you have to submit at least one screen shot.

For the splash screen, the same sizes apply, but you *must* have one at each size if you’re supporting both screen types.

For the app icon sizes, this is where it gets fun. For non-retina, pre-iOS 7 devices (if you’re supporting those) you need a 72x72 size icon. For retina, pre-iOS 7 devices (not sure why anyone would have a device like this, but I suppose it’s possible) you’ll double that, so 144x144. For non-retina iOS 7 devices (iPad 2) you need a 76x76 icon. For retina iOS 7 devices, you need 152x152. Yes, you need four different icon sizes if you’re supporting all iPads and versions of iOS. I’m sure you know, but there are places for each of these in the standalone application settings under the iOS tab. And it’ll warn you if you try to use an icon that’s not the correct size.

Hopefully that answers your questions. And hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.

Good luck,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield