SSL + static IP with an on-rev account

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 31 12:20:45 EST 2014

jbv wrote:

> I've been working all day on 1 of our sites still hosted on pancake (with
> static ip) and from time to time the server response can be very slow
> (like 10 to 15 sec for a simple ajax request)... I guess this is related
> to the server charge which can vary during the day...
> Actually, a few months ago, we moved most of our sites from a
> regular on-rev account to a dedicated server (also hosted and maintained
> by on-rev) and things improved by several orders of magnitude.

No doubt.  One of the challenges with On-Rev is that LiveCode is so easy
to use that it's like providing its users with a gun, a bullet, and a
map to their foot. :)

I've heard expectations of being able to run 8-hour analytics processes
on a shared host, or using a single shared-host account to resell as a
shared-hosting solution.

I wonder if the throttles on On-Rev need to be made a little tighter.

I believe an older version of On-Rev had the throttle set at 30
contiguous seconds per process, but that's insanely liberal, making it
far too easy for one account on the machine to dominate the processor,
hindering performance for many others using the same machine.  It's also
a horrible user experience:  when was the last time any user waited 30
seconds for a page to refresh? 1994?

Of course we don't want the server to pull the rug out from under a
running process, but we also don't want to see runaway processes, or
just poorly-written scripts, dominating a shared machine.

What would be an appropriate way to throttle usage on On-Rev?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World