[OT?] Bad news???

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 24 14:31:09 EST 2014

Richmond wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25851739#threeG
>
> Why the hell are they teaching Primary kids Python?
>
> This is like teaching kids to drive drag-racers before they
> can walk.

I agree, but I see this as good news, taking a longer-term view:

It's a very positive sign that programming is being taken seriously as a
key part of the curriculum at all.  Without this first step there would
be no opportunity for LiveCode or anything else at all.

That these educators would choose a well-known open source language
isn't surprising.

Over time, LiveCode will also become as popular as Python, and as its
audience grows it'll become increasingly self-evident that it's a far
better choice for teaching introductory programming.

LiveCode's only been open source for less than a year, so it's really
only been a viable option for orgs who need FOSS tools for a fairly
short time.

This will inevitably change.  The benefits of LiveCode are obvious once
folks have the opportunity to try it.

That will happen.

Patience, Grasshopper....

--