[OT] Mavericks Auto Save and Red Traffic Light plus Back Dot

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 05:02:56 EST 2014

Go to System Preferences, and select the General tab. Slightly bellow the middle, there's a checkmark saying "ask to keep changes when closing documents". Unselect it. Make sure to restart applications now, and then the new behaviour should immediately show up.

For example in text edit, documents should show a grey "– edited" after their name, but not the red dot thingy. You can still force a save, which will include a milestone-type of save (some are also created automatically, usually when a document is closed), you can browse trough the revisions in time machine, even if you have no backup hard disk connected.