[OT] Mavericks Auto Save and Red Traffic Light plus Back Dot

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 20:49:11 EST 2014

As this is the largest community of Mac users I know please forgive me for
asking this off topic question here.

I'm on 10.9.1 MBP 15" Retina, I have the latest versions of TextEdit 1.9
(310) and Pages 5.0.1 (1478)

I recently purchased OS X Mavericks - The Missing Manual as I find these
Missing Manuals have a wealth of little tidbits which help maximise your
use of what ever program.

It states in this book that Apple programs such as TextEdit, Pages all Auto
Save whenever you stop typing or pause your workflow. You can even Quit
these applications and all your work is saved and available when you reopen
the document - the inference is that you are not presented with any type of
dialog box when you Quit because the document is already saved. Also,
because of all of this, the convention of changing the Red traffic light
icon at the top left of the widow, to show a black dot in it - indicating
you have unsaved changes, no longer happens.

Well, that's not what I'm experiencing.

I open a TextEdit or Pages document and as soon as I make changes the Red
Traffic Light icon changes to include a black dot in the the middle. I can
leave it for 10-15 min and nothing changes, there is no Auto Save, and if I
Quit the program I'm asked if I want to Revert, Cancel or Save.

To me, absolutely nothing has changed in this regard.

Is anyone else seeing this or are you all as per the book?

I'm thinking of submitting an errata but thought I'd better check first
that somehow by the grace of God I happen to be the only one that has
Mavericks behaving exactly how I expect OS X to behave.