Dumb Linux question… How to set the icon for the application?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 06:20:53 EST 2014

On 14/01/14 13:14, G.W.Gaich wrote:
> Hi Malte,
>
> if it's a user install, the icons (<<the same name as the
> application>>.png) are in the folder
> /home/<<username>>/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
>
> in a global installation: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
>
> hth
> G.Wolfgang Gaich

Semi-useful answer.

With Macintosh the icon is inside the APP floder, and with Windows the
,ico file is attached to the executable.

I wonder if there is a way to attach an icon to a Linux executable
rather than to have to mess around with an installer,
which is obviously what will have to happen if one wants to dump icons
into the places Herr Gaich suggests?

Richmond.