Non-Ascii Chars in Filenames

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at keehuna.com
Thu Jan 9 18:43:34 EST 2014

Hi,

Is there any way to deal with files whose filenames contain non-ascii chars?
Assume that *tFilename* is *specialFolderPath(“desktop”) & “/ağaç.png”*

_set the filename of image 1 to tFilename
results with an empty image.

_set the filename of image 1 to URLEncode(tFilename)
same, an empty image.
I even tried this:
_set the filename of image 1 to uniEncode(tFilename, “utf8”)
I know it’s kinda stupid but it was a desperate attempt.

The thing is I can’t control the filenames.
There are thousands of images in the server
and different people {editors} upload them.
Some of those so-called computer literate editors insist to name the files with non-ascii chars.
Since the underlying OS or the server doesn’t complain
{see, utf8 became a common standard for years if not decades}.
they don’t notice the error and I end up with the headache.

So, is there any workaround to make Livecode accept those files?

Thanks for all your help...

Best,

~ Ender