uuid types 3 and 5

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jan 9 14:05:07 EST 2014

Martin Baxter <mblivecode at ...> writes:

> Was looking at the uuid command.
>
> Type 4 is straightforward enough.
>
> Types 3 and 5 have me baffled though. Does anyone know what those types
> are used for? I can't even guess, nor have my web searches led me to any
> information about their usage.

Here's my take on uuid types 3 and 5:

1. Don't bother with type 3 - it's been deprecated in favor of type 5. See
RFC 4122 for more details.
2. Both these types are for generating uuids that are limited to a specific
namespace in scope, and thus you can feed the namespace as an argument and
guarantee that uuids generated at the same time *within the same namespace*
will be identical.

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com