Figuring out the correct height / width of scrollbars under Linux

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Thu Jan 9 08:21:37 EST 2014

On 01/09/2014 03:03 AM, Malte Brill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to figure out how wide / heigh a scrollbar needs to be under Linux to draw all of the scrollbar, but not leaving you with empty space around it? Can this be figured out by script? It appears that under UBUNTU this would be 14 Pixels. Is there a difference between Windowmanagers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Malte

Under KDE, scrollbar width is a user settable property. I don't know
what default is, I have it set to something narrower because, well, I
like it. I'm not sure that you can reliably determine this. It would
depend on your ability to determine the DE of the current session which
is available as a LiveCode global under some distros but not others, and
then grab the setting from a config file, if the distro/DE make it
available and you know where it is. I don't know what to say about height.

Why are you finding this desirable? Do you have some consistent display
issue you're trying to resolve one some particular distro? Are you sure
you want to be setting this in the face of what might be a (different)
user preference?

Warren