Unicode shooting from the hip

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Jan 6 17:47:50 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyway, I am a complete convert to all things Unicode, and, seeing how
> easy things actually are once one abandons all those crazy, highly
> individualistic encodings, am dead keen on evangelising people who are
> still stuck with one of the pre-Unicode encoding "standards".

you should see how it is on another list I attend…. complaints from the
grizzly veterans about extra question marks inserted in email postings.
I've been asked rather crustily to 'revert' to ASCII7, turning off any html.

They of course are blaming rich text from modern browser based clients like
gmail,  or iPads or iPhones.

But  frankly I suspect it's bad conversion in Mailman software for the
digest version.

I'd rather just be able to use Unicode based HTML text for all uses… and
not have to change because it's the new standard and works internationally.
Also I feel I can express myself just a little bit better with rich text.

I agree with you on the need to keep essential internet structures
international and not freeze anyone out because of what keyboard or
language they use.

*--*
*Stephen Barncard - San Francisco Ca. USA - Deeds Not Words*