running SCP as a process

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jan 5 11:50:21 EST 2014

Without seeing the actual SCP code it's hard to determine the source of
the problem, but I suspect it's because SCP is designed to prevent
allowing passwords to be included as plain text in shell scripts, since
that would obviate the "S" in "SCP".

The solution seems to be setting up shared keys instead of passwords for
shell access, which has been tricky for me but given the great many
tutorials all over the Web the problem seems to be less with shared keys
than my own attempting it pre-coffee.

Of course it would be far better to just have SFTP in libURL, since then
we could use it on every supported platform, even Windows.

But in the meantime, where SCP can be an acceptable workaround for the
absence of SFTP you'll want to set up shared-key authentication.

<https://www.google.com/webhp#q=setting+up+shared+keys+for+SSH+on+OS+X>

Let me know which tutorial you found especially helpful for that, as
I'll need it soon myself.  If I get to it before then I'll pass along
the URL.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems