Wolfram language

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 27 10:16:12 EST 2014

Jim Hurley wrote:

 > Could you, or any one, provide me with an example that shows how
 > to use the Skia library?

Skia is a 2d library, used in LiveCode to replace the older internal
subsystem used for drawing.

The good news is that we don't have to do anything to use Skia:  it's
already there, working every time you render anything to the screen.
RunRev did such a good job dropping it in that most people didn't notice
any change at all.

The bad news is that we *can't* (currently) do anything with it from
scripting:  if you want to use additional capabilities not currently
supported by the LiveCode language, those would need to be submitted as
feature requests.

But the good thing about Skia is that many such feature requests are now
easier for the team to implement than before, since they can rely on the
capabilities of a library that has many times more developers working on
it than any small company could afford.

For example, SVG is handled by Skia, so conceivably we could see SVG
import and export added to LC.  And along with that, since SVG supports
Beziers, we'll hopefully see that too.

Those types of additions to LiveCode are probably not as high on the
priority list as the published Kickstarter goals, but achievable with
Skia once the other priorities are done.

And of course anyone in the community with sufficient time and skills
could add those capabilities and submit a pull request to have them
added to the main engine build.

More info on Skia:
<https://sites.google.com/site/skiadocs/roadmap>

--