Editing the style(s) of text in a field.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Feb 26 19:37:25 EST 2014

On 26/02/2014 23:31, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 2/26/14, 4:50 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>> But the question is
>>    - if the chunk is currently 'mixed', then which of the following
>> should happen ?
>
> I've seen different ways to do that. What comes to mind is the way
> Thunderbird marks/unmarks a group of selected messages if they have
> mixed status. It flips the first one, and then makes all the others
> match that.
>
> I guess that qualifies as "other" in your list. I'm not sure it's the
> best behavior, but it makes its own kind of sense.

That should have been option 3a :-)   Thanks.

>> And a similar question - if the button clicked is the "make the text
>> bigger" button, and the text is currently mixed sizes, then should it
>
> I'd pick #4:
>
>> 4. each char of the chunk should increase in size (i.e. equivalent to
>> selecting each sub-chunk in turn, and then clicking the 'bigger' button)

Secretly, that's what I think it should do - but I was hoping someone
would come up with a rationale for one of the others.

I guess the code will just have to iterate through the chars and change
them.
    (oops no, just tried that and it's too slow. I guess the code will
need to scan through the chars and change each sub-chunk)

Thanks
-- Alex.