Scrolling speed of a data grid

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 25 14:08:32 EST 2014

Terence Heaford wrote:

 > I then saw LiveCode and placed a small contribution to the
 > update/stretch goals as I was/am concerned that SC is not going to
 > be updated.

FWIW, SC's lead developer, Mark Lucas, is a friend of mine, and I'm in
touch with him pretty regularly.  We'd talk more often but most of the
time he's head-deep writing code for the product.  So while I'm glad to
see you're also evaluating LC, as far as I can tell you needn't worry
about SC's viability.  For Mac-only projects it remains a good option.

 > So, as a guide:
 >
 > 1700 records consisting of text for
date,type,description,amount,balance,category.

 > Using the page up/down scroll:
 >
 > 1. Cocoa - 4.5 seconds
 > 2. SC with external - 5 seconds
 > 3. LiveCode DataGrid - 9 seconds

Those metrics are definitely a concern, esp with just 1700 records.
I'll bet we can boost the LC score there.

Trevor's scripting in response to the scrollbarDrag message is pretty
clever, and normally produces a very nice result.

But as you noted, using the DataGrid isn't quite as simple to work with
as some of the native controls, and the way you populate the elements
within a DG might provide us with an opportunity for a performance boost.

Can you tell is how you populate the DataGrid?

It would also be useful to see the code you have in your row template
behavior's FillInData and LayoutControl handlers.

And if you're using non-fixed row height, this may help:

How Can I Speed Up Drawing When "fixed row height" is False?
<http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/datagrid/l/9852-how-can-i-speed-up-drawing-when-fixed-row-height-is-false>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World