Edit cell in basic table field

David Epstein dfepstein at comcast.net
Sat Feb 22 22:05:12 EST 2014

Thanks very much for the suggestions of other tools and the script
that would help me write my own.  But before giving up completely on
the basic table, I'm trying to understand how it works (and, in the
process, more about how LiveCode works).

Inspecting "the frontscripts", I discovered that the handlers
governing basic table fields are in the script of button "revTable"
of group "revLibraries" of stack "revLibrary."

1.  Hoping to see table-editing in action, I set a checkpoint at the
beginning of the "on mouseUp" handler in that script.  But clicking
the field did not cause execution to halt or the debugger to open.
Are LiveCode's own frontscripts not debuggable by the user?

2.  It looks like if I am willing to edit LiveCode's own frontscript,
I can get the information I want.  When I insert this statement
send "cellWasEdited pObject,txCell,tyCell,tNewText" to pObject
into the frontscript's "revWriteCellField" handler, I can handle a
"cellWasEdited" message in my table field's script.

Doing this would mean my stack would not work on someone else's
machine.  I also wonder whether fiddling with LiveCode's scripts is
hazardous, or if there are better ways of doing this.  (I tried
inserting my own closeField handler in front, and having it pass
closeField on to LC's frontscript.  This did not work.  And some of
the useful information is stored as script local variables by LC's
frontscript, which doesn't give me access to it in my own script.)

Any thoughts?

David Epstein