Delete char in string

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 07:22:08 EST 2014

On 19/02/14 14:09, John Dixon wrote:
> as in something like this...
>     put char 2 to (the number of chars of fld 1) of fld 1 into fld 2

Exactly:

nipping chars off strings in fields is dead easy:

delete char 1 from field "MYCRAPPYTEXT"

but I have a funny feeling that everything will move a whole lot quicker
if one could do this sort of thing:

delete char from $MYCRAPPYTEXT

where the name with the $ is a string variable [Err . .  guess my
FORTRAN underwear is showing]