[OT] Richmond's DNS disease, was: RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 16 14:24:46 EST 2014

On 2/16/14, 12:13 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> And turn off SSID broadcast - you'll have to type the SSID
> manually in order to connect the first time, but it will keep your
> router under the radar.

I had broadcasting turned off for years and wanted to keep it that way,
but as soon as I got an Android device it couldn't find the network. I
had to type in the credentials every time I got back home, or toggled
wifi on. Very annoying, and I finally turned broadcasting back on.

Apple devices try to ping all known networks repeatedly to see if any
are active (a trade-off in battery depletion) so they don't have that
problem, but Android just scans broadcasted networks to see if it
already knows any of them.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com