[OT] Richmond's DNS disease, was: RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Feb 16 13:13:56 EST 2014

Richmond-

Sunday, February 16, 2014, 12:54:21 AM, you wrote:

> So; I got into my TP-LINK router's settings and changed the DNS to one
> of the ones I mentioned in an earlier posting:
> had to physically restart the router (the soft restart just stopped the
> thing working) as well as the cable modem: bingo,
> hopefully "bigger bingo" than previously.

Probably also worth flushing your dns cache

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-debian-ubuntu-flush-clear-dns-cache/

I usually set one of Google's dns servers as one of my alternates, not
because I'm particularly enamored of Google, but because their servers
support DNSSEC. It's not too widely supported yet, but getting more so
to avoid dns poisoning and man-in-the-middle exploits.

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

The next time you configure your router's settings, make sure that the
"remote configuration" or whatever it's called on your router is
turned off. You *did* change the default password, right? And if your
wireless access is enabled, make sure you're using WPA encryption, not
WEP. And turn off SSID broadcast - you'll have to type the SSID
manually in order to connect the first time, but it will keep your
router under the radar.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.