[OT] Richmond's DNS disease, was: RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 03:54:21 EST 2014


On 16/02/14 10:17, Richmond wrote:
> On 16/02/14 10:15, Richmond wrote:
>> On 15/02/14 22:12, Mark Wieder wrote:
>>> Richmond-
>>>
>>> Saturday, February 15, 2014, 11:43:37 AM, you wrote:
>>>
>>>> and "bingo", everything is lovely.
>>> Yay!
>>>
>>
>> Well "semi-bingo" insofar as individual computers can now bypass the 
>> router's DNS setting (all the Linux boxes I have connected to my 
>> router),
>> but other devices (my wife's iPad, my G3 iMac running 9.2) cannot, 
>> and as such cannot access the websites that that DNS seems unable to 
>> reach.
>>
>> What makes me feel uncomfortable is that those sites seem to be the 
>> ones we contact the most, which makes me wonder if somebody
>> has been mucking around somewhere.
>>
>> Supposedly (!!!!) the ISP (BLIZOO, Bulgaria) are going to send a pair 
>> of monkeys, err, strike that, "computer engineers" to play around 
>> with my cable modem and my router: this, frankly, doesn't make me 
>> feel good at all - who paid them, who has told them exactly what to 
>> install (spybots)?
>>
>> Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than to greet them at the 
>> door and tell them "Thanks, but  no thanks", having managed to change 
>> my DNS in the router (EDIMAX TP-LINK) via the browser interface 
>> myself: but I don't think that can be done . .  .
>>
>> Richmond.
>
> Especially, Linux lovers, as my /etc/resolv.conf file has been blanked 
> overnight so I have to redo the thing!

AND the lesson is:

Never, ever listen to "computer engineers" at one's ISP.

Having told me that to access the internet I had to leave their DNS in 
place in my router settings, I tried Mark's recipe,
which worked, but only while I had the computer switched on; when I got 
up in the morning and switched the machine on,
the /etc/resolv.conf document had reverted to what it had been before I 
mucked about with it the night before.

So; I got into my TP-LINK router's settings and changed the DNS to one 
of the ones I mentioned in an earlier posting:
had to physically restart the router (the soft restart just stopped the 
thing working) as well as the cable modem: bingo,
hopefully "bigger bingo" than previously.

Unfortunately I have a tendency to trust other people; especially people 
with pompous titles such as "computer engineer",
and "expert"; but, thinking about things, when the chap on the phone 
said that when their "experts" came to see me they would
correct "the problem" via Internet Explorer (having told him about 4 
times that I only used Mac and Linux in my house), I should
have told him to "boil his head".

So, if you hear me describing myself anywhere as a "computer engineer" 
or a "computer expert" run a mile . . . LOL

Here endeth the lesson, and let us prAy, and let the "computer 
engineers" not prEy on us.

Richmond (High Priest, Archbishop and Court Jester in chief).




More information about the Use-livecode mailing list