[OT] Richmond's DNS disease, was: RELEASE LiveCode 6.6 DP1

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 03:15:26 EST 2014

On 15/02/14 22:12, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Saturday, February 15, 2014, 11:43:37 AM, you wrote:
>
>> and "bingo", everything is lovely.
> Yay!

Well "semi-bingo" insofar as individual computers can now bypass the
router's DNS setting (all the Linux boxes I have connected to my router),
but other devices (my wife's iPad, my G3 iMac running 9.2) cannot, and
as such cannot access the websites that that DNS seems unable to reach.

What makes me feel uncomfortable is that those sites seem to be the ones
we contact the most, which makes me wonder if somebody
has been mucking around somewhere.

Supposedly (!!!!) the ISP (BLIZOO, Bulgaria) are going to send a pair of
monkeys, err, strike that, "computer engineers" to play around with my
cable modem and my router: this, frankly, doesn't make me feel good at
all - who paid them, who has told them exactly what to install (spybots)?

Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than to greet them at the
door and tell them "Thanks, but  no thanks", having managed to change my
DNS in the router (EDIMAX TP-LINK) via the browser interface myself: but
I don't think that can be done . .  .

Richmond.