[OT] Cultural differences (was Re: Defining Pet Features and Essentials)

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:12:18 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> I almost decided to major in cultural anthropology in college, the field
> is so fascinating to me. Humans are a diverse breed, and yet we have far
> more in common with each other than we have differences.
>
> I'm certainly glad a smile is a smile and a laugh is a laugh the world
over. I was reading somewhere recently (can't find it) that another
universal, almost bordering on language, is the 'Uh' response. i.e. I don't
understand, I don't comprehend. Supposedly no matter your culture or
language, we all do this.

On the subject of pigs being clean but we use the term to mean messy, dogs
being man's best friend but used as an insult, a while back we had a
gentleman at our local church who worked in management for Disney.  Every
know and then I'd wryly ask him 'how's that Mickey Mouse outfit treating
you', he'd smile and tell me "very well". One day he confided with me that
Management at Disney were continually concerned and had failed to ever
figure out why it was that 'Mickey Mouse outfit' came to refer to something
dipolar to everything the company so diligently tried to represent.

It's an inexplicable world we live in; which is again why I'm so glad
smiling and laughter is universal.