[OT] Cultural differences (was Re: Defining Pet Features and Essentials)

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at keehuna.com
Wed Feb 12 17:35:18 EST 2014

And I am glad this conversation occurred, because it makes us all more
aware. One thing is a disadvantage to you though: your English is so
good that it is easy to forget you live so far away. :)

Jacque,
I seriously doubt it but Richmond said that, too;
so, I’m about  to believe.
By the way, you ought to know that very few things can make me so proud about myself.

It’s important for me because of three reasons;
one, I was always into the languages;
second, Turkish is very different in so many aspects from English
in fact it’s structurally sibling to Japanese apart from our Latin alphabet vs their Kanji & Kana,
despite the common westerner belief, Turkish is not related to Arabic or Farsi, whatsoever;
third, I have no formal education, just movies, tv shows and books.

I guess, this is my way of expressing gratitude to your compliments :)
In short, thank you :)

Jacque:
One example is that we
typically don't use "please" as often as they do in the UK, because in
America that would be perceived as constant pleading, and perhaps a sign
of insecurity. In the UK it is simply a polite way of speaking.

I feel awkward many times when I want to use “please”
and I question myself whether I’m using it too much or not.
Now, I know the reason thanks to you;
that was apparently the American way
and as I said earlier I learned English from Hollywood mostly.

From now on, I can use it as much as I want knowing that I’ll be perceived as coming from British école :)

Jacque:
I almost decided to major in cultural anthropology in college, the field
is so fascinating to me. Humans are a diverse breed, and yet we have far
more in common with each other than we have differences.

Indeed…
Although the cultural differences seem big to us, the resemblances are in majority.

There is a reason for that: Genetic Bottleneck Theory.
We all are grandchildren of just 1000 to 10.000 pairs from some 50.000 years ago.
The reason of this bottleneck is somewhat disputed,
yet it seems that Toba Incident is the favorite one among the scientists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory#Genetic_bottlenecks_in_humans

The theory says that 60% to 96% of humans did extinct in that era of volcanic winter.
If we could become so different in the last 70.000 years
{ http://www.boredpanda.org/vanishing-tribes-before-they-pass-away-jimmy-nelson/ }
how different had Homo Sapiens been become during the earlier 130.000 ~ 4million years?
Who knows, maybe there were some races which look like Hobbits, Elves even like Orcs :)

It’s fun to dream, isn’t it?

Best,

~ Ender