[OT] Cultural differences (was Re: Defining Pet Features and Essentials)

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Wed Feb 12 17:24:50 EST 2014

J,

Very good points!!

I spent 1.5 years in Japan. I was having cocktails with some Tokyo locals
and I was tired and wanted to be able to accomplish what I promised the next
day and refused a tumbler glass of whiskey from Karamura San late in the
night. I went back to the hotel and found out the next day that I insulted
him BIG-TIME. Moral: You can't always know local customs but learn from your
mistakes. I bought him a tumbler of whiskey the next time we went out and
all was forgiven. On the "thank you" thingy... In Japan the more random
"Gazimus"s (spelling?) one places in a conversation the more polite you are.
And to be Really polite end the sentence with "gazimusssssssssssssss" and
stretch those s's out. I think the vast majority of us try to acclimate to
local customs so we can respect other cultures and not insult the locals.
But in the end it's one of those "live and learn" things.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net