Defining Pet Features and Essentials

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at keehuna.com
Wed Feb 12 14:36:41 EST 2014

Once again, I hit that 15kb. barrier.

Repeating myself without quoting Jacque’s reply; I hope this will be short enough for the mail-list :)

Hi Jacque,

Actually we talked about it in detail with Richmond.
I already removed the post from nabble;
pity that I can’t remove it from your individual inboxes, too.

Cultural differences can be confusing.
Names of genital organs are little insulting, if any, in our culture, for example.
They are been used actively as part of small-talk, vulgar;
but most of the time, they mean close to “buddy, pal, …”
Funny, isn’t it?

Whereas “pig” is condescending, “ox” means dumb, “dog” is pretty insulting.
I can understand “pig”, both Jews and Muslims consider it as dirty and un-kosher/not-halal.
I just don’t know why “dog” is a curse.
Believe me, it’s really harsh to a degree that it’s one of few reasons which make me physically fight with someone.
It’s hard-coded to my neurons, collateral effects of my culture.
In fact, I love dogs as animals; they’re cute, loyal, fun, smart.
But as a swear, it’s rough.
And I’m not a touchy guy, usually don’t take swears serious; they’re just childish for me not a reason to argue.

I should have thought about the nuances between cultures.
That was clearly my mistake.

Another important thing about this issue is *being over-touchy / short-tempered of Middle Eastern people*.
Richmond expressed this very well and I’m quoting from him, I hope he’s ok with it:

What never ceases to amaze me is how it is perfectly acceptable for non-WASP cultures to make supposedly off-colour remarks about WASP culture,
while the other way round is jumped on like crazy whether it is or is intended to be offensive in reality or not

He’s absolutely right.
We call this behavior as “playing the aggrieved card”.
It’s a common approach in this part of world.
Even the richest businessmen and strongest politicians use this.
They use because it’s proven as effective and it’s part of our culture, how we’ve been raised.
Hard-coded, if I may.

I was completely against it, yet I did it myself
Because I belong to this culture and my culture’s shackles have bounded me since my childhood.
Despite how much I try to free myself from those, I can’t succeed always.
Shame for me :/

~ Ender