Dollar Sign Variables

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:44:53 EST 2014

On 11/02/14 22:36, dunbarx at aol.com wrote:
> Richmond.
>

> So if I see an egregious typo, like:
>

> putt myVar into someOtherVar
>

> then I do what you do.
>

> But you never, really never, had to follow the contents of a variable while stepping through a script? Never mind when debugging due to an error, but rather just to see if your plan was sound?

No, never. Mind you, I tend to model my scripts with children's toys,
chess pieces, LEGO,
or any other things that come to hand all over the living-room carpet,
the school table, or where-ever first of all.

I also do most of my programming in bed with a scrap of paper and a
pencil within easy reach. About 6 months ago I got in a fight in a very
posh restaurant where I had been invited for the wedding breakfast of my
lawyer's nephew. The whole thing was well tedious, so, not having a book
I got "fairly tanked" and started having mad ideas, and wrote them down
all over the linen table-cloth (not having any paper with me): and
finally got involved in an entertaining shouting match with the head
waiter when he saw me taking photos of sections of the tablecloth with
my mobile phone.

This stuff ended up getting rolled into a major rehash of my Devawriter
program and meaning that my PISMO program was way more elegant in
programming terms than Devawriter ever was.

Every time I try to do serious programming "from ground zero" on a
computer I end up reading e-mail messages, farting around on Facebook,
and generally getting distracted.

Richmond.