LiveCode in Elementary Schools

Cyril Pruszko cypruszko at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 08:02:49 EST 2014

It would be perfect for younger students to learn about computers and programming. They can easily start writing programs without a lot of teaching. Then once they get excited about what they have created and want to do more, you slowly introduce the concepts and programming constructs. It works very well in the classroom
LiveCode, especially, lends itself to students moving ahead on their own. Since it is so English-like, they do not have problems learning the language. The ones who do move ahead are excited to show what they have done and teach their peers what they have learned. They also help each other when problems arise or someone wants to do something different or more difficult.
Education is moving more towards project-based lessons with emphasis on creativity, independent learning, research, collaboration, teamwork, analytical thinking, project decomposition, problem solving and other skills more relevant to real life and success in one's careers. That is LiveCode.
I am working with elementary schools to develop lessons and would be willing to share what we do. I have been teaching high school students LiveCode for over 4 years now and have learned much about how they work and learn. I have a website that we use and you are welcome to use it to become more familiar with LiveCode:  https://sites.google.com/a/pgcps.org/livecode/home  Although it is rather old, I will be revising it over the summer. I will also be adding teacher's pages with help, assignments and tips. What we develop for the elementary grades will be there too, on separate pages. I welcome any contributions and insights that you may have once you start using it in your classroom.
Welcome to the world of LiveCode and kudos for being willing to use it in the classroom. It is the right decision.
Thanks, Cyril Pruszko