[OT] will amuse you Linux fans

Andrew Kluthe andrew at ctech.me
Sat Feb 8 10:51:51 EST 2014

"Those who choose to obey the laws" are either those who are the
beneficiaries of such instruments, or to whom the instrument has rendered
all other choices and possibilities unworthy of consideration. The point is
that even in western democracies, people don't actually have a choice in
the matter. You obey or you are punished. That is the presupposition of the
whole concept: removal (whether it is perceived as voluntary or otherwise)
of choice to those who know properly how to do the choosin'.

Government in North Korea is maintained by the same force and threats as it
is in most any western democracy. The difference being that in western
democracies the populace is encouraged to take an actionable role in their
own subjugation and the subjugation of others in an attempt to feel like we
belong and have agency in such matters. We are allowed to choose wallpaper
patterns for the homes we are allowed to live in by being obedient enough
to be granted some kind of economic privilege. In exchange for our
co-operation, we earn a chance at a more personally satisfying (to some)
servitude. Should any groups of people in a western democracy decide
against being servile, we know for sure that force will arrive there to
restore servility.

I'd prefer not to allow my liberty to be (or at least work to prevent from
being) bound by involuntary contracts like constitutions, writs and the
like.

And after reading over the thread again I'd like to point out:

"Those who choose to obey the laws (that they themselves are protected by I
might add) do not need to be compelled."

This phrase strikes me now as something very similar to what a gangster
might say when attempting to expand a protection racket.

I'm not suggesting that you are a gangster or run a protection racket, of
course, but that the logic being implied by your concept of governance
lines up perfectly with what I am describing. I think that we are in
agreement about function but just have different biases and perspectives
into those functions.