referring to a file on the local network by name?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:49:35 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Bob Sneidar <bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com>wrote:

> So after thinking about it for a while, it seems you can enumerate the
> folders in /Volumes fairly easily. BTW, you should NOT be ending up with a
> folder called Joe-1 unless something has gone wrong with your connection
> while you were connected to Joe.

Sure, but it seems to happen on a regular basis with our NAS drive.  And it
doesn't go away until my rare reboots.

> No matter though. If there is a Joe and a Joe-1, any attempt to connect to
> Joe should fail, unless you actually have two share points legitimately
> named Joe on two different servers, in which case I need to come over and
> punk slap your IT person (assuming it's not you). ;-)

Nah, it' just the one place.   Bur it seems common enough that I need to
program around it.

> Barring that, what you are seeing is a stranded dynamic link, which in
> theory should never happen these days. It *should* resolve itself upon
> reboot, but of course you cannot depend on the condition being optimal.
> What version of the OS are you running btw? I've seen this long ago, but I
> thought that Apple had fixed this. The Connect to Server option in the
> Finder should not be allowing you to make multiple simultaneous connections
> to the same share point.

I'm using Mountain Lion still.  I'm trying to find a way to start the
included postgres server without OS X Server before I let Mavericks take
over.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462