OT-ish warning: Apple is still using Mac Roman

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:32:40 EST 2014

On 02/02/14 22:17, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I recently was working on getting fields to accept unformatted text in a drag drop scenario. What I did was intercepted the drop, and then put the dropData [“text”] into the field. Something along these lines may be what you are looking for.
>
> As an aside, I was importing clipboard data from an Excel Spreadsheet copy, and interspersed in the actual data were non-printing codes. When I checked their ASCII values they were WAY outside the range of letters, numbers and special characters. Upon further research, they turned out to be old characters that use to be used in DOS applications for drawing boxes around a bit of text. I was getting the one for the bottom border character for a vertical line for a double line box.

That's alright in theory as Unicode has these chars:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2500.pdf

"All of these characters are intended for compatibility with
character cell graphic sets in use prior to 1990."

HOWEVER, I don;t just suppose Livecode converts those to Unicode
on-the-fly when
importing/dragging text into a field.

Richmond.