Good is the new Best

Marty Knapp martyknappster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 17:55:59 EST 2014

I may be losing my mind but I just discovered something weird. I'm
mostly using LC 6.6.5 these days and I have an app that I've struggled
to get good looking icons (many of them are fairly small). I was making
them in Photoshop at 2x size and after importing to LC, setting the
resizeQuality to "best" and scaling them down. But they didn't look that
great. I've had a few customers complain about the lack of "retina"
quality so I finally bit the bullet and picked up a refurbished MacBook
Pro with a 13" Retina display so that I was no longer working blind. To
my surprise I found a couple of my icons looked great and some not. The
ones that looked best turned out to have had their resizeQuality set to
"good". The ones set to "best" didn't look nearly as good. (I know, this
is starting to sound like "Who's on first!") So I looped through all the
images and reset the resizeQuality to "good" and now they all look nice
and sharp on Retina. But isn't this backward? Curious, I opened the
project in LC 6.7 rc4 to see if this "bug" was fixed but it seems to be
the same. On a non-retina display "good" and "best" look about the same
(and not all that great with small icons).

As an aside, I also opened some of my apps, built with LC 5.0.2, on my
new Retina MacBook and they look terrible - even the text looks bad -
even the text in system windows (print dialog etc) - very pixelated. The
same stacks opened with LC 6.6.5 look fine.

Anybody else seeing this?

Maybe "good" is the new "best!"

Happy new year to everyone,
Marty Knapp