resetting preferences in 7.0.1 rc4 (Windows 7)

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 06:32:45 EST 2014

Mike, I'm extremely grateful for your help on this matter.  And I have
finally got some kind of explanation of what is going wrong.

Hearing that the native appearance manager worked for you on Win7/64 -
which is what I'm on too - I created another user account and logged in
there.  LC7 RC4 "native theme" works when using that account. That was a
breakthrough.

So I returned to my normal account and checked if I had switched off Aero
or something else.  I hadn't.  But what I had done was had set an image as
my desktop background.  I saved that "theme", and reverted to the default
Windows 7 theme, and now "native theme" works within LC7.  Having a plain
themed background has not been a problem on LC 5.x or 6.x.  I was working
on this Win7 PC with LC 5.5 for about 3 years.

If I revert back to my old desktop theme, with LC7 open, the "view" menu
gets completely screwed up in LC7.  Basically, it looks like a wreck -- it
has different colours from the other LC menus and is neither a Win95, OS X
nor Motif theme.  Restart LC7 with my themed desktop, and I'm back to a
Motif appearance and the problem of the "native theme" option not working.
If I switch to any of the other provided themes which are installed on
Win7, then it is only after a restart of LC7 that the appearance reverts,
and "native theme" works.

I guess this must mean I'm the only LC user who has created a theme of
their own.  Mine was nothing more than a graphic I used as the backdrop for
the desktop.

I can at least enter this in the bug report.

Regards,
Bernard