Your installer is broken

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 26 18:53:16 EST 2014

While I was using LiveCode, I was informed of a 7.0.1 update. The text box
showed the following text:

    Stable: The release has been through a full
    testing cycle and is deemed stable.
    Maintenance: The release is the previous stable
    release with fixes ready for testing.
    Beta: The release contains new features which
    are complete and ready for testing.
    Development: The release contains untested
    new features.

My initial reaction was, "So, which is it?" It was a moment before I
realized I was looking at the end of a long update description, and had to
scroll all the way back to the top to find out that it's a stable release.
The text box really ought to positioned at the beginning, not the end.
That's just a very minor issue. But then...

I closed LiveCode and selected Update Now, and it began to download rather
slowly. When it was done, it said "Installation Failed", with the
explanation, "Could not launch downloaded installer: not opened". I
clicked Retry, and it switched to "Ready to Install", saying that it will
"Install LiveCode to: C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Community
6.6.3" etc.

First of all, if it downloaded the installer, why did it say that it had
failed? Second of all, why is it offering to install it in the LiveCode
Community 6.6.3 folder, when it's LiveCode 7.0.1? (And third, why is it
using forward slashes on Windows?)

Rather than click "Install", I clicked "Back". Rather than go "back", it
went to "Select Installation Type", so I clicked "Custom" and "Continue",
and it switched to "Customize". I clicked the magnifying glass icon next
to the installation folder name (still 6.6.3), and it popped up
"Libraries\Documents". That's not a valid place to install anything, so I
had to navigate to my C: drive and drill down to where I wanted to put it.
I tried selecting "C:\Program Files (x86)\RunRev" as the installation
directory, and it simply opened that folder, showing me "LiveCode
Community 6.6.3". Why can't I just put it into "C:\Program Files
(x86)\RunRev"?

So I created a LiveCode folder under RunRev and selected it, and it went
back to "Customize", showing "C:/Program Files
(x86)/RunRev/LiveCode/LiveCode". Why two "LiveCode" folders? Where did
that come from?

I clicked the magnifying glass again, deleted the LiveCode folder that I
had created, and created a "LiveCode Community 7.0.1" folder under RunRev
and selected it. It switched back to "Customize", showing "C:/Program
Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Community". What happened to the "7.0.1"?

I figured, this is the best I could do so I clicked "Continue". It
switched to "Ready to Install", and said that it would install in
"C:/Program Files (x86)/RunRev/LiveCode Community 7.0.1/LiveCode Community
6.6.3". At this point, I decided to stick with the 6.6.3 installation I've
already got. Please let us know when you have a "stable release" of the
installer, because this one barely qualifies as a beta.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com