cursor not vanishing in Linux

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Dec 7 16:04:20 EST 2014

Richmond wrote:

> Answering his own question yet again:
>
> on mouseEnter
>    set the lockCursor to true
>    set the cursor to none
> end mouseEnter
>
> on mouseLeave
>    set the cursor to arrow
>    set the lockCursor to false
> end mouseLeave
>
> not very well documented.

Many seeming oddities in the language are merely conventions established
by the HyperCard team.  IIRC the need to lock the cursor to have it
maintained after idle is one of them (though personally it makes sense
to me; seems more convenient than needing to explicitly unlock).

In this case it seems the LC team tried to document it - from the
Dictionary entry for "cursor":

     If the lockCursor property is set to false, LiveCode automatically
     sets the cursor according to its location once the handler finishes.
     (For example, the cursor normally turns into an arrow over a menu,
     an I-beam over an editable text field, and so on.) To retain the
     cursor property after a handler finishes, use the lock cursor
command.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems