Changes to LiveCode Linux Extensions

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Dec 4 14:14:41 EST 2014

Hi Linux fans!

Some of you might remember that a few years back I provided a number of
"LiveCode Extensions for Linux", in order to get around limitations
existing in Rev/Linux at that time. I hope you found them useful.
However, now that Rev are about to launch LiveCode 7, most of these
limitations have disappeared, and in anticipation of this, I have
updated the web page at howsoft.com accordingly:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/extensions/

One remaining extension is the embedded WebKit "Web Browser", which
Livecode/Linux achieves by firing Python scripts. The new demo of this
extension corrects 2 limitations of the previous version:

1. When shelled from LiveCode, closing a Python browser window does not
terminate the process. After firing various Python sripts one after the
other (and leaving all the processes running), the previous version of
this LiveCode extension provided a button to kill off all Python
processes to get rid of them! Not very satisfactory! In the new demo,
firing a new Python script kills off the previous process. Finally,
closing the LiveCode window kills off the remaining Python process.
Other Python processes running outside the LiveCode shell are not touched.

2. For some reason, the Python browser windows were not always being
positioned as specified by script in the previous version. Since I am no
Python programmer, it took me a while to discover the reason for this.
Apparently, although you can specify the SIZE of the Python window (in
the script) BEFORE displaying it, you can only specify the LOCATION of
the Python window AFTER you have displayed it! The example scripts of
the demo have therefore been updated to take this into account.

I read somewhere that the new LiveCode WebKit browser for Linux is
"Coming Soon" after the Windows and Mac versions. I hope that this
improved Python solution tides you over in the m..e..a..n..t..i..m..e!

Regards to all,

Bob Warren