Different results in LC with a file from 2 FTP programs

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Tue Dec 2 08:54:59 EST 2014

Hello,

I am downloading a ASCII txt file with "put URL tFile into tContent" from my
server. Then I filter the content of the file in LC 6.5.2 to get the wanted
data. I changed my FTP program on Windows to FileZilla because my old FTP
program didn't had a SFTP protocol, which I wanted to use now. When
uploading the same file which is locally 397 KB with the old FTP program in
ASCII mode it increases on my server to 385 KB. When uploading it with
FileZilla-SFTP in ASCII mode it shows the excat 397 KB in the server.

Here comes my issue. My LC fails processing the content of the same file,
when it is uploaded with FileZilla, because after the filter command each
line still has a "CR" at the end of the line, which is not there, when the
same file was uploaded with the old FTP program. Usually I would have
expected a "CR" at the line end, but I have never watched it and because it
wasn't there with my old FTP program I coded without expecting a "CR" and
now my program fails with the new format. It is easy to change my code, but
there are a lot of licences out there at my customers, which I can't change
that easy.

Has anybody any idea, what is happening here with the file and why two
different FTP programs upload a different result on my server with the same
file, both using ASCII mode? Why is the file expanding in my old process,
but is missing a CR in each line? Is there perhaps anything I can change
locally on my file? Any ideas?

Thanks

Tiemo