Numbering of lines in a field

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Mon Apr 28 07:49:37 EDT 2014

Hi Charles,

What does "without any success" mean exactly" Do you get wrong results?
No result at all? Do you get any error messages?

I have made a very tiny change to the script by adding a cr after
myNewLines every time a line is added:

constant dot = "."
function lineNumbering theLines
   put 0 into myCounter
   repeat for each line myLine in theLines
     if "CHC" is word 1 of myLine then
       put 0 into myCounter
       put myLine & cr after myNewLines
     else
       add 1 to myCounter
       put myCounter & dot && myLine & cr after myNewLines
     end if
   end repeat
   return char 1 to -2 of myNewLines
end lineNumbering

I put this function at card or stack level and create a new field with
some data like

chc
sdfdf
dsfdsf
dfds
chc
sdfdsfds
fdsfds
fdsfdsf
dsfds
chc
sfdsf
dsfdsf
dsfdsf
dsfdsf
dsfdsf
ds
chc

I type

   put lineNumbering(fld 1)

in the message box and get the following result:

chc
1. sdfdf
2. dsfdsf
3. dfds