Backdrop in in 6.7.0 dp2 under Lubuntu Linux 13.10

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 14:33:00 EDT 2014

On 26/04/14 21:15, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Saturday, April 26, 2014, 10:48:28 AM, you wrote:
>
>> It does not work (as I posted earlier) on Ubuntu Studio 14.04.
>> Defining "fixed" as 'it works on Linux Mint' is a bit . . .
> ...Yeah. I gave up on Ubuntu a long time ago because of Things Like
> This.

Maybe you did give up on Ubuntu: but, like Ubuntu or not, it is the
dominant form of Linux at the moment: and if this sort of thing "f***s
up on Ubuntu"
it does not count as 'fixed'.

For the sake of argument: I have a friend in Botswana who got hold of a
load of
"charitable gifts"; a bunch of Pentium IV machines with no operating
systems.

He put some type of Ubuntu on them . . . why?; well; the chap knows next
to nothing
about computers or operating systems; knows Ubuntu is FREE, some of his
co-workers
feel groovy because they know that 'Ubuntu' is a Swahili buzzword, seems
to have the most
online support . . . tiddly pom!

That chap had a terrible time installing Ubuntu; not because of Ubuntu
as such, but due to the
fact he is a teacher, not a computer chap. Having sweated his way
through that he is not likely to
want to do that all over again with Linux Mint.

Luckily he uses my EFL standalones that have been authored with RunRev
2.1.1 and Livecode 4.5,
and don't use a backdrop; so his case is neither here nor there at the
moment . . .

BUT; should my friend, and thousands like him, decide to start teaching
Livecode and/or
developing their own stuff this may become a problem.

I have never been enamoured of the built-in backdrop, and
in my Devawriter Pro I have the option of a backdrop using a tiled image.

Richmond.