encrypt and decrypt on iOS

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Apr 26 11:54:34 EDT 2014

Hi, Sims!

Are you planning for 7.0?

Currently, and on 7.0 dp2, both the source and the password (passphrase) in the syntax you point out are byte strings.  (And, if you use a key, it is a fixed length byte string.)

The password is usually interpreted as characters and is typically longer than a key.

If you limit your passphrase character set to ASCII, you are good for moving to 7.0.  Use it as your password.  (You can still move to Unicode later.)

If you want to go full Unicode, you can use unicodeText and uniEncode to convert to UTF-8 for the password.  When you move to 7.0, change that to a single textEncode().  You can upgrade from ASCII with with the ability to decrypt old data..

But if you are using your native 8-bit coding, you can have both cross platform problems and uniCode limitations.  If you use your 8-bit encoding directly, you won’t be able to move to full Unicode with general compatibility with past passwords.  You have already used up all 8 bits in the bytes.  If you think you want to eventually move to full unicode, start converting to UTF-8 now.

So, in summary I recommend either ASCII or UTF-8 for the password parameter.

There may be some standards in the works concerning key generation (from passprhases) but this is good for your internal use.

Dar