Using Profiles

Guglielmo Braguglia guglielmo at braguglia.ch
Thu Apr 24 01:25:36 EDT 2014

Hi to all,
sorry but ... I don't agree ...  :D :D :D

Living in Switzerland, I often need to write programs in our national
languages (Italian French and German), plus, obviously, English and I
have always used, not without some minor difficulties, especially with
accented characters on different platforms, "profiles".

To solve these minor problems, where is possible, I have still used the
"htmlText" and not the "text" ... because I see that "htmlText" is
properly managed changing platform.  Unfortunately, not for all of the
controls you can use "htmlText", some have only "text".

Normally I define 4 "profiles" ... prItalian, prFrench, prGerman and
pgEnglish and, where is necessary, I set the "htmlText" of the control,
for each one of the profiles, to the correct translation, then ...
retrieved the user local language, I just do:

         revSetStackProfile "<<profile_name>>", "<<main_stack_name>>"

... and all appear in the correct language  :)

Unfortunately ... you can't do that for each LiveCode object ...
... e.g. I have not found a simple way of doing this for the "DataGrid
column labels" so ... after changing "profile" I'm obliged to do also:

         set the dgProp["column labels"] ...

... for each DataGrid I have to translate the column labels ... but ok
... Is not a big problem ;)

Hope this help,

Cordially,

Guglielmo